I am a freelance writer with an interest in endurance, science, nature and the environment. I have written for a wide range of publications and can also offer can offer editing and proofreading. My background is in environmental sciences with a professional career as a polar oceanographer. Having studied Natural Sciences at Cambridge University and with a PhD in polar oceanography I have expertise in technical and scientific writing.
My first book, Runner, was published in 2015. A second book, Journey, about my Great Himalaya Trail is due for publication in June 2019.
The written word is my preferred medium for sharing my passions – my love of exploring and wild places – and our responsibility to work towards environmental and social sustainability.
Please contact me for further information and to discuss what I can offer you!
- A Spiritual Journey, Runner's World UK, November 2013
- No Luxuries in the Himalayas, Trail Runner Magazine, June 2013
- Rennen um einen prachtvollen geröllhaufen , Trail Magazin, Mai-Juni 2013
- Racing Around an Ornamented Heap, Running Fitness, April 2013
- Everest Base Camp to Kathmandu, Trail Revista, June 2009
- Jungfrau Marathon, Running Fitness, October 2007
- On the Trail , Runner's World, September 2007
- Wild Running in Nepal's New Mustang Mountain Trail Race, TrailRunner, March 2013
- The North Face 2007 Endurance Challenge - San Francisco, planetFear, January 2008
- Everest Base Camp to Kathmandu at a Run, planetFear, March 2008
- Swiss Alpine Marathon Davos, planetFear, August 2007
- Ski Mountaineering in the Tien Shan, Kyrgyzstan, planetFear , July 2006
- Ultra Trail Tour du Mont Blanc, planetFear, July 2006
- Boyd, I.L., Hawker, E.J., Brandon, M.A. and Staniland, I.J., 2001. Measurement of ocean temperatures using instruments carried by Antarctic fur seals. Journal of Marine Systems, 27, 277-288.
- Brandon, M.A., Naganobu, M., Demer, D.A., Chernyshkov, P., Trathan, P.N., Thorpe, S.E., Kameda, T., Berezhinskiy, O.A., Hawker, E.J. and Grant, S., 2004. Physical Oceanography in the Scotia Sea during the CCAMLR 2000 survey, austral summer 2000. Deep-Sea Research II, 51(12-13), 1301-1321.
- Hawker, E.J., The Nordic Seas Circulation and Exchanges. University of Southampton, 2005. PhD Thesis.
- Hawker, E.J., and S. Bacon, (manuscript in preparation), Circulation and Fluxes in the Nordic Seas. Progress in Oceanography.
plus various unrefeered manuscripts and conference abstracts